Course Category: Quran Program ~ Level 2 Core Course
View a short segment of this course: Class Sample
Course Code: QUR 202
Instructor: Anse Ola Habbab & a tajwīd teacher
Length: 1 term (15 weeks)
Course Dates: Sept. 12 - Dec. 19, 2017
Timings: Tuesdays, 8:00 pm CST/2:00 am GMT Click here to convert to your own time zone.
Classes last approximately 1.5 hours each. Live attendance is not required but recommended whenever possible. Recordings of the sessions will be made available for registered students who cannot attend live.
Offered: This course is offered in the Fall and Spring terms of each year.
2. QUR 101: "Explanation and Recitation: Juzuʾ ʿAmma"
3. QUR 201: "Tajwid Part 1: Letters & Phonetics"
4. Students enrolling in this course must be able to decode and read Arabic text comfortably (ARA 100 and ARA 1A). Understanding of Arabic is beneficial but not required.
5. Knowledge of the points of articulation (makhārij) and letter attributes (ṣifāt).
If you are unsure of your level or have not completed the prerequisites, you may complete an assessment with a tajwīd instructor. Based on that, you will receive a recommendation on the best course for your level inshallah.
To arrange an appointment, kindly email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, Skype ID, and a brief summary of your background in Quran studies. We will be in touch with you as soon as possible inshallah.
Summary: Building upon concepts taken in QUR 201, students will complete the study of the rules of tajwīd, accompanied by an instructor-led recitation of Juzuʾ ʿAmma. This is a two-part course:
- Students will gain an understanding of the rules of tajwīd (proper pronunciation of the Holy Quran) during weekly online sessions with Anse Ola.
- Each student will be paired with a certified tajwīd teacher, either online or locally, with whom she will work one-on-one. This part of the course will be complete when the student has read through Juzuʾ ʿAmma with her assigned tajwīd teacher, having demonstrated the ability to apply the rules of tajwīd to the standardized and acceptable level. Upon completion, advanced students may begin a recitation of Juzuʾ Tabārak.
Course Requirements: Students are expected to attend the weekly online lectures, complete assignments as assigned by the instructor, read the assigned material, complete a reading of Juzuʾ ʿAmma, and review and sit for a midterm and a final exam.
Registration Fee: Non-refundable, non-transferable
$100.00 (not including the cost of the course materials)
$20.00 late registration fee after September 10th (if seats are available)
1. Excellence in the Science of Tajwīd by Ghada Salahi al-Asbahi
2. A medium to large-sized Holy Quran in Arabic for the recitation portion. (Suggested: Mus-haf al-Tajwid, color coded for tajwid)
Students are responsible for ordering their textbooks before the start of class. Ribaat textbooks are available to enrolled students at a discounted rate through Daybreak Press Global Bookshop. Once enrolled, students will have access to the discount code through the course forum.
For inquiries, contact email@example.com