Course Category: Arabic Level 4
View a short segment of this course: Class SampleCourse Code: ARA G4A
Instructor: Anse Anna-Maria Ramzy
Length: 1 term (15 weeks)
Course Dates: Sept. 10 - Dec. 24, 2017
Timings: Due to the necessity for live attendance, the day and time for this course will be chosen to best fit the teacher's and students' schedules.
Classes last approximately 1.5 hours each. Live attendance is required whenever possible. Recordings of the sessions will be made available for registered students who cannot attend live.
Offered: This course is offered in the Fall term of each year.
- Students should be women above the age of 17.
- Arabic Grammar Level 3B or equivalent knowledge. Students enrolling in this level will have a firm grasp of foundational and intermediate-level grammatical features of the Arabic language, and will be confident in reading and writing the script.
- Arabic Conversation Level 3B or equivalent knowledge.
Course Description: Students in this course will work on refining their knowledge of key grammatical constructs, and will increase their grammatical knowledge through study of more advanced concepts and exposure to a variety of Arabic texts. This level builds upon the content covered in Levels 1, 2 and 3 and takes students into the world of more advanced Arabic grammar skills. By including a greater focus on application of skills through reading, the aim at this level is to strengthen students’ comprehension of Arabic writing, and to consolidate the grammatical skills they need to express themselves in the language.
- Verb Forms V, VI, VII
- Definite and indefinite relative pronouns
- Conjugation of weak roots in the jussive mood
- Conjugation of doubled roots
Course Requirements: Students are expected to attend the weekly online lectures, complete one or more weekly assignments as assigned by the instructor, and review and sit for a midterm and a final exam.
Registration Fee: Non-refundable, non-transferable
$100.00 (not including the cost of the course materials)
$20.00 late registration fee after September 10th (if seats are available)
- Required: Arabic-English Dictionary: The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic, Ed. J.M. Cowan
- Recommended: Modern Standard Arabic Grammar: A Learner's Guide, Mohammad T. Alhawary
Students are responsible for ordering their textbooks before the start of class. Ribaat textbooks are available to enrolled students at a discounted rate through Daybreak Press Global Bookshop. Once enrolled, students will have access to the discount code through the course forum.
Placement: If you are unsure about your level, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a placement test. Once you have submitted and tests have been assessed, you will receive a recommendation for the appropriate course for your level.
For inquiries, contact email@example.com