Course Category: Arabic | Level 3 Course
Course Code: ARA 302
Instructor: Ustadha Urooj Shahid
Length: 1 term (14 weeks)
Course Dates: January 22 - April 29, 2020
Timings: Wednesdays, 2:30 pm CST/8:30 pm UK Click here to convert to your own time zone.
Classes last approximately 1 hour each. Live attendance is not required but recommended whenever possible. Recordings of the sessions will be made available for registered students who cannot attend live.
Daylight savings time will end in
the United States on Sunday, March 8, 2020. Depending on where you live, this
may or may not affect your class timing. In countries where DST is not applied
at all, class will be one hour earlier starting March 8.
Offered: This course is offered in the Spring term of each year.
- Students should be women above the age of 17.
- ARA Grammar Level 3A or equivalent knowledge.
- Arabic Conversation Level 2B or equivalent knowledge. The two courses may also be taken simultaneously.
- Students enrolling in this course should be confident in expressing themselves in Arabic using a wide variety of grammatical forms and should be able to identify these rules in unmarked texts.
Summary: This level consolidates the grammatical constructs covered so far and introduces students to the concept of Verb Forms, which constitute the backbone of the Arabic language. Students are taught to identify a number of these forms and manipulate roots to express different meanings in their own writing. This level prepares students to enter the realms of more advanced grammar and the translation of more complex text in future levels.
- Weak End Roots – Standard Conjugation
- Weak Roots in Different Moods
- Forms I, II, III in action
- Conditional Sentences- Past
- Conditional Sentences – Future
- Participles – Active
- Participles – Passive
- Exceptive Sentences
- The Five Nouns
Course Requirements: Students are expected to attend the weekly online lectures, complete one or more weekly assignments, read the assigned material, and review and sit for a mid term and a final exam.
Placement: New students in the Arabic program are required to submit a placement test to be placed at the correct level. The placement test can be downloaded at the bottom of this page. Once you have submitted and tests have been assessed, you will receive a recommendation for the appropriate course for your level.
Registration Fee: Non-refundable, non-transferable
Students will have access to course forums, recordings, and files until the first day of the next term.
$100.00 (not including the cost of the course materials)
$20.00 late registration fee after January 18th (if seats are available)
Auditing is not available for Arabic courses. To achieve the full benefit, coursework should be completed as assigned.
- Recommended: Arabic-English Dictionary: The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic, Ed. J.M. Cowan
- Recommended: Modern Standard Arabic Grammar: A Learner's Guide by Mohammad T. Alhawary
Students are responsible for ordering their textbooks before the start of class. Ribaat textbooks are available to enrolled students at a discounted rate through Daybreak Press Global Bookshop. Once enrolled, students will have access to the discount code through the course forum.
For inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org