Course Category: Arabic | Level 2 Course
Course Code: ARA 202
Instructor: Ustadha Liana Reading
Duration: 5 weeks
Course Dates: July 13 - August 14, 2020
Days: Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays
Time: 10:00 am CST/4:00 pm UK
Classes last approximately 1 hour each. Live attendance is not required but recommended whenever possible. Recordings of the sessions will be made available for registered students who cannot attend live.
- Students should be women above the age of 17.
- Arabic Grammar Level 2A or equivalent knowledge.
- Arabic Conversation Level 1B or equivalent knowledge. The two courses may also be taken simultaneously.
- Students enrolling in this course should have knowledge of beginner-intermediate level grammar topics and a strong grasp of the rules needed to construct and understand a variety of sentences with the aid of a dictionary.
Summary: This course is aimed at students who have a thorough knowledge of all the topics covered in levels 1A, 1B and 2A. It is designed to give students an understanding of some of the nuances of the Arabic language, introducing them, for example, to a variety of exceptions to the rules learned in previous levels. By the end of this level students should be able to engage in detailed conversations concerning their own personal lives as well as more general topics ranging from religion to current affairs. They should be able to identify grammatical features in texts, correctly read unvowelled texts, and compose texts of their own in a variety of styles.
- Verbal Sentences – Past & Present Subjunctive
- The Jussive
- Hollow Roots
- Kana and her sisters
- Adding the Object Pronoun to verbs and particles
- Inna and her sisters
- The elative and superlative
- Introduction to relative pronouns
Placement: New students in the Arabic program are required to submit a placement test to be placed at the correct level. The placement test can be downloaded at the bottom of this page. Once you have submitted and tests have been assessed, you will receive a recommendation for the appropriate course for your level.
Course Requirements: Students are expected to attend the online lectures, complete one or more weekly assignments, read the assigned material, and review and sit for a mid temr and a final exam.
Registration Fee: Non-refundable, non-transferable
Students will have access to course forums, recordings, and files until August 31st, 2020.
$100.00 (not including the cost of the course materials)
Additional $5.00 auditing fee.
- Arabic-English Dictionary: The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic, Ed. J.M. Cowan
- Modern Standard Arabic Grammar: A Learner's Guide, Mohammad T. Alhawary
Students are responsible for ordering their textbooks before the start of class. Ribaat textbooks are available to enrolled students at a discounted rate through Daybreak Press Global Bookshop. Once enrolled, students will have access to the discount code through the course forum.
For inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Options: Before enrolling, please click here to read the Registration Fees & Policies. Then choose one of the registration options below:
Option 1: Send payment in 4 monthly installments.
Cost: USD 25.00 x 4 months
Log in to access all registration options.