Site news

Certification FAQs

Picture of Ribaat Registration
Certification FAQs
by Ribaat Registration - Sunday, June 17, 2018, 3:51 AM

ribaat header

Ribaat Certification FAQs

Q: How do I register for either of the certificate tracks with Ribaat?

A: At the moment there is no process to sign up for the certification programs. You would enroll in each course separately and complete the required courses at your own pace. The fee for each one-term course is $100.00

Q: Is there a proposed timeline for the courses to maximize the use of different courses offered in spring and fall? 

A: We suggest completing Level 1 courses, as they will give you a solid foundation upon which to build subsequent knowledge in Level 2. However, if that doesn't work out for one or two courses, it shouldn't be a problem to take a Level 2 course before finishing all Level 1 courses. Each Level 2 course has its own prerequisities which must be completed before advancing.

Q: Is it possible to receive the Ribaat certificates with part-time study?

A: The Ribaat program has been designed to be flexible to student needs and timelines. You need not finish the certifications within a set time limit.

Q: Which courses are required for the Murabbiya ‘Alima certificate?

A: All the courses listed on the Ribaat Murabbiya ʿĀlima Certificate Requirements are required for the certificate. Other courses you may see offered through Ribaat would be additional (elective) courses.

Q: Are there any previous requirements necessary to enroll in the 'Alima certificate program?

​A: No, however, Level 2, 3 and 4 courses do have prerequisites and you should take them in the order advised.​

Q: I have already taken some classes previously with Rabata. Now that I want to pursue the 'Alima certificate, will those count towards the certificate?

​A: Yes, courses you have passed previously will be counted.​

Q: Is there a maximum amount of classes that one can take per semester? Based upon previous student experiences, what has seen to be a manageable class amount? 

​A: There is no maximum number of courses per semester, although it is not advisable to enroll in more than three at once unless you intend to study full-time. We advise first time students to enroll in only one or two courses, until they can adequately assess how many they will be able to take on at once.

Q: Are there services that help students create a "game plan" to succeed in classes? 

A: Yes, students have the option to Meet with an Adviser.

Q: Approximately how long do you foresee the 'Alima program taking a student who takes the maximum amounts of credits per semester and successfully completes them?

​A: Not less than 6 years for full-time students, and it will most likely take longer than that.​

Q: Is it possible to transfer credits from outside Arabic sources towards the Arabic portion of Rabata? For example, I have the ability to access Arabic in person, but wouldn't do so if it meant that the credits could not count towards the 'Alima Certification.

​A: You may complete an Arabic placement test to ascertain that you have reached the required level of Arabic to earn the certification. However, we highly suggest you ensure the program you choose is geared towards liturgical Arabic and will help you access sacred texts in formal Arabic.​

Q: Are there any potential scholarship options for students who are trying to take more than 3 classes a semester?

​A: A scholarship application can be submitted per course. A student may apply for up to two scholarships per term.​

Q: I have studied/am planning to study fiqh on another madhhab. Would that be okay or is taking Shafi'i fiqh a requirement? 

A: Ribaat focuses on Shafi'i fiqh and it is a requirement to complete the program. You may also, of course, study fiqh on other madhhabs and inshallah this will only increase your knowledge and ability to help others.

Q: If I already know tajwid can I waive this part of the requirements? 
A: It is recommended to begin the Quran Program from the start in order to benefit from the explanation of Juzu' 'Amma and the one-on-one instruction. Upon enrollment in any tajwid course, you will be assigned a tajwid instructor to work one-on-one with. If your tajwid is indeed advanced, you will be able to complete that part of the course within a few sessions.   
Alternatively, you may complete an assessment with one of our tajwid instructors. Based on that, you will receive a recommendation on the best course for your level inshallah.
To arrange an appointment, kindly email tajwid.assess@rabata.org with your name, Skype ID, and a brief summary of your background in Quran studies. We will be in touch with you as soon as possible inshallah.

Q: Are Ribaat certifications accredited in my state?

A: Ribaat certifications are not accredited by any specific accrediting body or state in the United States. Ribaat is affiliated with al-Nuriyyah Hadith School in Damascus, Syria. 

Click here for certification requirements:

Islamic Studies Teacher Certificate

Murabbiya / ʿĀlima Certificate

Click here for Ribaat FAQs

For inquiries, contact: registration@rabata.org